Sunday, March 25, 2007

Lemon Tree

Any of you guys know the Peter Paul and Mary song "Lemon Tree"? I love that song... anyway... our neighbors have a big (or maybe its 2 trees) lemon tree that hangs over our wall and the flowers are just blooming on it right now. The smell is soo sweet almost exactly like honeysuckle. Its been a nice change from the constant gasoline, and other smells around here. There is very little grass in the IZ or in the fews parts outside the IZ that I've seen and I miss it. Over by the Convention Center (where the Council of Represetatives meets) there is some grass and we even saw some flowers blooming there last time we were there. It is definitely heating up around here but the weather is still tolerable - even in a suit - but i'm sure that will change quickly. Robin & i have an extrememly busy week but its all really cool stuff so it should be good. I can't believe March is almost over and I've been here for 4 1/2 months. They absolutely flew by. But I can tell you this is the best, the coolest job I have ever had and I don't for 1 second wish I hadn't taken this job. The people I have been exposed to, the meetings I have been invited to and work I am doing are far beyond any expectation I've had for my life or my career. I've met so many wonderful people from around the world, been witness to amazing acts of bravery and been close to such acts of human depravity that I cannot explain. No matter what happens or where my life takes me next, this time in Iraq will leave an indelible mark on me - hopefully for the better.

Miss you all sooo much!

2 comments:

Robinita said...

I can attest that it is already for the better, Court! You have impressed me with how much you have learned and all that you have done here so far from the minute I arrived. Thanks for being so brave to come out here and then getting me to join you as this is definetly exceeding my career and life expectations as well!

All in all, you rock Courtini!!

However, I must say that the lemon tree really doesn't cover up the sewage smell around here- YUCK!

KENZO said...

miss u too!