Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Baghdad Birthday!

So yesterday was my 23rd Birthday! Crazy how times flies! ;) I had mentioned that it was my birthday to Vanessa & Spence just so that we could make sure to go to the Embassy DFAC (mess hall) so I could get a birthday ice cream. We had a packed morning full of meetings so we actually missed lunch at the DFAC - Burger King was my special bday lunch! No ice cream but it was still a good morning/afternoon. We needed to come back and get some memos out for an Iraqi and I of course was too distracted with all my wonderful bday email messages. So i finally gave up and went to have a beer w/ the PSDs and watch them play darts. Well they all knew about my birthday so they all wished me happy birthday and I even got a present from the Kiwi's! Next they all - the PSDs and Vanessa & Spence - surprised me with a birthday cake and candles. I was sooo incredibly touched. So we had cake before our dinner meeting and hung out w/ the boys some more. I was also awarded Employee of the Month for PILPG Baghdad for November 2006! I was sort of a lock since I'm the only actual employee here! ;) It was my bday present from Vanessa & Spence and now hangs in our office! We headed off to one of the 2 restaurants in town - the Baghdad Country Club for a dinner meeting w/ 2 other NGOs and then 3 of our PSDs and our new British friends came and joined us for drinks afterwards. All in all it was a MARVELOUS, LOVELY, very touching bday. These ppl are amazing and giving and I am just amazed every day by their generosity. And now this morning (the 15th here) the Iraqi women who come in every day to take care of us came in and gave me Birthday wishes and kisses. This place is truly amazing! I missed being able to spend my birthday with all of my friends and family back home but I have had a birthday I will always remember and cherish. Miss you all!

7 comments:

Iam Who Iam said...

That is so unbelievably cool
ALmost makes we want to come over there so I could get a birthday cake and employee of the month too.

Cereally You deserve no less.

Missed you
Still do

Robinita said...

Way to go employee of the month!!

So glad you had a good bday!

miss ya

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Courtney! Just think - you would have had the super yummy Fire Hook Bakery cake in our office for your big day! It sounds like what you got was much better and a lot more fun though!

Stay safe and keep having fun! We miss having you in DC! Juliana says hi and Happy Birthday too!

Samantha Schmidt said...

What a great birthday! you may be able to get employee of the month every month!

Next year we can spend our bdays together.,
Funny how each year the age difference between us gets larger?????
Lots of love-
YVFC- sam

Anonymous said...

So glad that you had a great birthday. Congrats on your award!!
The girls say hello - well, Ella just drooled a little for you and we all miss you.

Take care of yourself and keep writing - always good to know you are safe.

Love you much!!

Adrianne said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I'm glad it was wonderful. You are definitely my most exotic friend these days! When youget a chane I want all the details on what your work really is! besos.

Anonymous said...

hey - just to keep you up to date - the skins benched Brunell and our starting Qback is now Jason Campbell - has to get better than what we have been through the last few weeks. Hope you remember we wished you happy b'day early!!!!
Stay safe and keep up that very healthy diet -

G & C